bind 4.8 under OSx 4.4c

Mark Benard mb at rex.cs.tulane.edu
Tue Jul 11 14:54:21 AEST 1989

In article <76769 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>(from warren at ginosko.samsung.com)
>>Does anyone have bind 4.8 workin consistently under OSx 4.4c? I called
>>Pyramid, they said that it is fixed under 5.0.  But I want a working
>>nameserver now...

I was the one who sent Warren the patch that I got from Karl Kleinpaste.
It has worked fine for me.  I have not had a named problem in several
months.

>Before I answer this, you need to understand the scope of the problem. When
>you change versions of BIND, you change getbyhostname(3N) and its friends in
>libc.a. That means *everything* that references gethostbyname() has to be re-
>linked and replaced. That works out to a total of 99 binary files in the OSx
>release, including libc.a itself. You also must relink all your own utilities
>that call gethostbyname(3N), and only *you* know where they are. You also have
>to use Sendmail 5.61, of course.

99?  I think that is a slight exaggeration.  I installed BIND 4.8 and only
replaced a handful of files.  (However, I admit, it did take me days to get
lib.a correct.) And you do not HAVE to run Sendmail 5.61, although that means
you cannot fully take advantage of BIND 4.8.  I am still running the sendmail
distributed with OSx4.4, with a little smail mixed in.  But at least I have a
working version of named.
--
Mark Benard
Department of Computer Science     INTERNET & BITNET: mb at cs.tulane.edu
Tulane University                  USENET:   [{ames,bionet}!]rex!mb
New Orleans, LA 70118