Too many groups and nfs.

Karl Kleinpaste karl at triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Sep 21 00:32:59 AEST 1989

linda at cc.brunel.ac.uk writes:
   I am in 10 groups which is fine most of the time on the Pyramid. I know
   there are one or two problems here, especially when doing things as root,
   so root is in less than 8 groups.

   When I mount a Sun file-system over nfs I then get a message on logging
   in which says "too many groups".

The limit on the number of groups in which one may be a member is only
8 on Suns; it's 20 on the Pyrs.  This relates to the "credential"
structures that get passed around, and Sun's NFS complains when it is
handed too many such groups.

See the NGROUPS #definition in <sys/param.h>.

--Karl