Too many groups and nfs.

Linda Birmingham linda at cc.brunel.ac.uk
Tue Sep 19 17:15:44 AEST 1989

9825 OSx4.4.
-----------

I am in 10 groups which is fine most of the time on the Pyramid. I know
there are one or two problems here, especially when doing things as root,
so root is in less than 8 groups.

When I mount a Sun file-system over nfs I then get a message on logging
in which says "too many groups". Strictly speaking this is true, so I'm
not complaining but I'd like to know "what" IS complaining. It has been
suggested that the Sun nfs daemon is checking for the number of groups.

So, to summarise:

I am in 10 groups.
I login to Pyramid with Pyramid nfs file-systems mounted and get no
complaints on logging in.
I login to Pyramid with Pyramid and Sun nfs file-systems mounted and
I get the message "Too many groups".

Can someone explain ?

Linda.

--
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, England.
janet: linda at uk.ac.brunel.cc |  :-)