The Quality of Pyramid's Service

Mark P. Diamond markd at rtech.UUCP
Sat Sep 2 04:26:20 AEST 1989

>From article <82731 at pyramid.pyramid.com>, by csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst):
>
> Out of all the complaints I've ever heard about *any* field service organiza-
> tion, this is by *far* the most common. And there are very practical, human
> reasons behind it. RTOC takes thousands of calls every week. Greater than 90%
> of them are User Brain Damage: the person calling didn't understand what they
> were doing.

This attitude really bothers me.  Users are not stupid.  Engineers, technical
writers and service people are stupid for thinking that they have built a system
which is easy to use.  Maybe it is not a bug in your system,
but if someone is having a problem maybe you have poor documentation, maybe
the installation instructions were not clear, maybe you are not listening to
what the customer is really saying.

Try an experiment:  you are a user of a pencil.  If you are right handed,
try writing with your left, or vice versa.  What?  It's awkward?  Can't
do it?  You've been using a pencil for many years, what is the matter
with you?  Are you "brain damaged?"

As an engineer, if someone can't use my system -- for whatever reason -- I have a
problem.  It is incumbent on me as an engineer to make my systems usable to eveyone.

Mark <>
Mark P. Diamond    {sequent,mtxinu,sun,hoptoad}!rtech!markd markd at rtech.com
" 9.17 sys3b SYSTEM CALL (SYSTEM V) *
* Every book should end with a good joke." -- Marc J. Rochkind, Advanced UNIX Programming