assembler problem with gcc on Pyramid

Jonathan jonathan at comp.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Aug 6 17:14:59 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug5.034045.2636 at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> rdt201x at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  c.m. greif) writes:
>I have come across the problem of gcc (1.37.1) generating assembler
>code that the pyramid as (5.0e) rejects.
>The same assembler file does not upset the as (4.1) assembler

The OSx 5.0 assembler seems to be saying that,  on ISIS machines,
the cvtfw and cvtfd instructions clobber their source operand, and
that therefore the source operand of these instructions may not
overlap the destination operand. I know how to fix GCC for
these particular instructions.  Follow-ups on the reported bug should
be posted to gnu.gcc.bug.

But I do not know if there are any other instructions that have
similar restrictions on the ISIS architecture. Plausible candidates
are cvtdw, cvtdf, and perhaps fixed-to-float conversions.  The local Pyramid
distributors do not understand this stuff, and did not respond to an
enquiry about obtaining a Pyramid architecture manual.  Can someone
from Pyramid please answer this?