How to setup backbone site?

Greg Hackney mechjgh at tnessd.UUCP
Wed Aug 1 03:02:08 AEST 1990

In article <148 at perle.UUCP> bob at perle.UUCP (Bob Pickles) writes:

>When we received OSx 4.4c there was a change to the news
>facility with a new file called mailpaths. In this
>file there is a definition for setting up the 'backbone'
>site. No matter how we setup the backbone site, every week
>we get a message in the weekly news report that says:
>
>   Can't find backbone in /usr/lib/news/mailpaths
>
>Why do we get this message? We have tried commenting out
>this line but to no avail. The response back from our
>Pyramid supplier is that Pyramid says this is public
>domain software and they don't support it and don't have an answer?

A possible problem might be this:

The code that reads that file uses the sscanf() function, and
reads in strings in pairs of two. Since it can read across newlines, all
data in that file needs to be matched up in even pairs of strings,
even comment lines.

With nothing else in the file, but this, it oughta work:

backbone	mnetor!uunet!%s

--
Greg Hackney