Ada compiler

Wendy Thrash wendyt at cs.washington.edu
Sat Dec 22 11:35:41 AEST 1990

In article <138442 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>True. It never seems to come up on RFPs any more, either. A shame that so many
>good people wasted so much effort on it, only to watch all interest die. Last
>I heard they got it to the point where it ran Dhrystone almost half as fast as
>Dhrystone on the C and Fortran compilers.

I believe that Carl was not being sarcastic here, though it's hard not
to read his posting that way.  Fact was that Pyramid did have good people,
including at least one _very_ good one, hacking that damned compiler.
I do not mourn its passing.

No, I was not among those working on Ada.  The joke in the compiler group
was that we had to sacrifice at least one person a year to the Ada project
(via firing), usually whoever happened to be the manager of the compiler
group at the time.
---
-Wendy T., remembering the good times at Pyramid