Trouble with telnetd

Chris Rende car at trux.UUCP
Sat Dec 22 06:44:17 AEST 1990

Nixdorf Targon M35/50 TOS 3.3.03 (Pyramid 9810 OSx 4.4?)

I'm having trouble with telnet'ing into this machine. Here's a sample script:

$ telnet trux
Trying...
Connected to trux.
Operating in line-by-line mode.
Escape character is '^]'.

TARGON /35 (trux)

telnetd: /dev/init: Invalid argument
.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Sometimes the telnetd message doesn't come up.
When another host tries to access this machine it simply echos what is typed.
It does manage to open a pseudo-tty in /dev. When I "echo hello>/dev/ttyp0"
it sends to the screen of the remotly connected screen.
FTP works OK; telnet from trux to a remote host works OK...

I'm using the System V init/getty/login stuff.
$ ls -l /dev/init
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      26,  0 Aug 11  1988 /dev/init
$ fgrep telnet /etc/serv*
/etc/servers:telnet	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/etc/in.telnetd	telnetd
/etc/services:telnet		23/tcp

Any ideas?

Thanks,

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,UnixPC/3B1