Parts delay, upgrading to OSx 5.1

karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu
Mon Dec 17 13:54:17 AEST 1990

I'm a bit perturbed by the delays I'm experiencing in getting my Pyrs
upgraded to OSx 5.1.

I've got 2 98xe's, 1 98x, 1 9825.  Due to the tasks for which each is
dedicated, I need to upgrade the 9825 first, because it's running the
fewest critical non-duplicated services, hence it would be easiest to
back out to 4.4c there.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that I can't get anything done at all,
because I need parts before the 9825 can upgrade.  I'm in need of data
cache, TA, and TPE replacements that are compatible with 5.1.  I made
my initial request for 5.1 in the 3rd week of September; I got the 5.1
tapes/docs in the 2nd week of October; but I'm told by my FE (who is
clearly doing his best for me) that the new boards won't be available
until 16 Jan.

Four month delays to do upgrades kinda suck.

For the sake of the performance enhancements in 5.1 (notably, I'm
told, the new IOP microcode), I really want to upgrade, and was hoping
to do so sometime during fall, then I was hoping to do it over
Christmas break, and now I'm stuck doing it around the end of January,
after winter quarter starts.

I'd be interested to know what others have found.  Anyone else
encountering the same delays?

--karl