read from /dev/tty problems

Bob Sutterfield bob at MorningStar.Com
Wed Jul 25 07:37:04 AEST 1990

In article <KARL.90Jul24094256 at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
   kenj at yarra.oz.au (Ken McDonell) writes:
      Could you please provide some more information on the version of
      OSx in which you see the problem, and the precise conditions
      under which you can make it hapen?

   We have the same problem under OSx 4.anything (currently 4.4c) and
   under both X10 and X11.  Just start an xterm, any xterm, and you'll
   find that /dev/tty is (evidently) not attached to it.

The quickest test is to say `cat < /dev/tty` to a shell running in an
xterm.  If it returns immediately (as is the case in xterms on
Pyramids running the MIT X distributions), you've found the bug.  If
it waits for tty input (as is the case on lots of other things running
MIT X), you're clean.  The presence or absence of the "-ls" switch
seems to make no difference.  The X server host type seems to make no
difference.

      I read news regularly, but have not seen you comments previously
      (is it possible they are not escaping for worldwide
      distribution?)

   This has been discussed here occasionally -- I've mentioned it once
   or twice myself.

This has happened at least since OSx 4.0 (perhaps 4.0beta, but I'm not
positive I tried it then) and X10R3, and has been occasionally
reported in comp.sys.pyramid and comp.windows.x for several years.
I've got no particular beef with Pyramid on this one, since MIT X is
not their product.  It's just monotonous to explain it to the users...