Upgrade 5.0d for 9825

Jimmy Aitken jimmy at pyra.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 22:03:14 AEST 1990

In article <961 at jade.Sbi.COM> millman at jade.Sbi.COM (Phillip Millman) writes:
>YUP. Here's mine.  At my previous firm, we upgraded from a 9815 to a MIS 4-2.  This
>entailed going from OSx4.4c to OSx5.1a.
					We also had a few programs
>within cron fail for reasons unknown.

I was bitten by this when we upgraded one of our in house systems to
5.1a.  Adter scratching my head, and then beating it against a brick
wall, I read the release bulletin for the 5.1 upgrade.  This mentions
that the file format has changed to have an addition 'user' field
which was one cause of the problem.  After this most of the cron jobs
worked, but the ones for 'news' did not.  After more self mutilation I
eventually read than manual page for cron to see if there was anything
that I had missed.  Indeed there was.  There are two security
features, and the one I had missed was:

     2.   The group ID of the user is still a valid group and the
          user is still a member of that group.

The 'news' group entry contained a '.' instead of a ',' as a separtor
and so the group authentication was failing and hence the jobs wasn't
run.  Changing this to the correct format caused everything to start
working again.

Jimmy
--
jimmy at pyra.co.uk                 -m-------  Jimmy Aitken