Upgrade 5.0d for 9825

Chad R. Larson chad at anasaz.UUCP
Wed Nov 21 12:21:02 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov11.193620.3199 at sjuphil.uucp> wlyle at sjuphil.UUCP () writes:
+---------------
| Has anyone gone through an upgrade for 5.0d for the Pyramid 9800
| series system.  I had ordered the tapes and documentation and was getting
| ready to go ahead and do the upgrade when a chance meeting with my Field
| Engineer made me call it off.  He said that there were certain levels of
| boards that were needed to run OSx5.0 and that if you didn't have these you
| weren't 100% sure if 5.0 would come up on your system.  Anyone else run
| in to this problem??  Anyone else even heard of this??
+---------------
Yes, we took our 9845 from OSx4.4 to 5.0d without doing any hardware
upgrades first.  We suffered random kernel panics and machine checks (a
couple per day).  We were apparently one of the first sites to do this
and it took Pyramid a while to conclude that CPU rev levels were the
problem.

They eventually swapped all 4 CPUs and data caches (20+ boards) which
cured our problems.

Now we're looking at a OSx5.1 upgrade.  Anybody got war stories about that?
--
Chad R. Larson          ...{mcdphx,asuvax}!anasaz!chad or chad at anasaz.UUCP
Anasazi, Inc. - 7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120, Phoenix, Az 85020