Upgrade 5.0d for 9825

Phillip Millman millman at garnet.Sbi.COM
Wed Nov 28 06:53:49 AEST 1990

> 	I'm not sure there were any undocumented features in OSx 5.1a,
> particularly with respect to 5.1. The release notes are redone for each
> version shipped, and updated with anything new.
>
> 	From the sounds of it, you are running into some of the security
> enhancements. These consisted of a number of things, including new
> functionality (such as access control lists) and fixing lots of existing
> security holes. I suspect the latter are causing your problems. This is
> the standard tradeoff between security and ease of use, I'm afraid.

I know that most questions recieved by RTOC are TITM (They're in the Manual) so
I read the ENTIRE installation manual especially the part about security
fearing that something may not work.  This PATH problem was undocumented and
the tech helping me didn't know about it either (until he talked to one
of the OS developers.

I agree about the trade offs and I'm the first to advocate security on UNIX
machines (after being burned by the Morris Worm).  This change made a noticable
difference in the ease in which our 411 shell scripts worked.

____

Phillip Millman					My Opinoins are my own
Salomon Bros.					because nobody else will
millman at moonstone.sbi.com			have them.