Upgrade 5.0d for 9825

Eric Bergan eric at pyramid.pyramid.com
Tue Nov 27 05:11:03 AEST 1990

In article <961 at jade.Sbi.COM> millman at jade.Sbi.COM (Phillip Millman) writes:

>> Now we're looking at a OSx5.1 upgrade.  Anybody got war stories about that?
>> --
>
>YUP. Here's mine.  At my previous firm, we upgraded from a 9815 to a MIS 4-2.  This
>entailed going from OSx4.4c to OSx5.1a.  First of all 5.1 is at "a" revision which
>means alot of undocumented features.

	I'm not sure there were any undocumented features in OSx 5.1a,
particularly with respect to 5.1. The release notes are redone for each
version shipped, and updated with anything new.

	From the sounds of it, you are running into some of the security
enhancements. These consisted of a number of things, including new
functionality (such as access control lists) and fixing lots of existing
security holes. I suspect the latter are causing your problems. This is
the standard tradeoff between security and ease of use, I'm afraid.

>I would wait until 5.1b comes out. (about 3 months)

	Just to let everyone know, we have changed our naming scheme, and
there will not be a 5.1b. Instead, there will be a program update tape, or
PUT. That will still be 5.1a, only labelled 901023. PUTs contain no new
features, but simply the bug fixes since the last release or PUT. PUTs do
go through full regression testing (unlike PTFs, which only go through
stability and unit tests). PUTs come in both full distribution format, and
PTF format.

--

					eric
					...!pyramid!eric