Help with "NFS server write failed"

Steve Jankowski [nectary] booga at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Fri Nov 9 15:22:19 AEST 1990

In article <292 at sgfb.ssd.ray.com> ras at sgfb.ssd.ray.com (Ralph A. Shaw) writes:
>For the past few days, we've been getting messages like:
>
>>NFS server write failed: (err=69, dev=0xf0648650, ino=0x2).
>>NFS server write failed: (err=69, dev=0xf0722bf4, ino=0x2).
>>NFS server write failed: (err=69, dev=0xf0648650, ino=0x2).
>
>every few seconds on our Pyramid 9820's console.  Nothing obvious is wrong,
>there are no local or remote file systems that are above 90% full,
>but I am at a loss as to how to trace the dev= information to find
>which system has the problem.

We've been getting similar messages since upgrading to 5.0, though
not very frequently.  They remind me of the leftover debugging
statement that was left in 4.4.  That message complained of an error
69 whenever a user wrote a block that put them over quota.  Given
that we service 600 undergrads with about the same number of megs,
our console was often unusable...

I digress.  I suspect the message is caused by an NFS inspired write
that is putting the user over their quota.  If you don't run quotas,
this prognosis is completely useless.

booga

--
booga at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        |V|   |)              Are we scientists?
                                 | |r  |)ooga      Are we even engineers?
joobyjoobyjoobycornholerschnapperpooperpooperschnapper