kernel and tar errors

Rodian Paul rpaul at dasys1.UUCP
Fri Jun 17 06:08:53 AEST 1988

> Another problem is using tar to backup files. There is a profusion of
> the following error message:
>    1ps0d0s6: error csr=0x4000 bn=?????? statcode=83 recovered, errcode=0x1
> accompanied sparingly by :
>    tp7: (18) correctable data error

You are probably running a 380 meg Hitachi drive on the 4D in question?
SGI will be replacing cables for these drives pretty soon, seems the controller
can't keep up with the drive sometimes (so I've been told), thus the drive
error messages. Apparently nothing to worry about so long as 'recovered'
comes up.

The tp7: (18) has been a real bitch for me. I get the message about 7 out of 10
'tar cv's. The message is specific to the tape drive.

Several weeks ago I had some corrupted data on a couple of tapes.
'tar' read them off fine, but the data was trashed.

After chatting with SGI someone said that they'd had the same problem at SGI
(later on I was told by many people there, that this could never happen),
anyway a field engineer came out and we ran a whole lot of tests.
We still got lot's of 'correctable data error' messages, but no trashed data.

Since then things seem fine, I don't know what trashed my data before, or if
it's related to the flakey controller/disk cables, only time will tell...