kernel and tar errors

Kevin R. Perry perry at PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU
Fri Jun 17 00:27:00 AEST 1988

>From info-iris-request at brl-vmb.arpa Thu Jun 16 10:03:04 1988
>Date:     Wed, 15 Jun 88 9:40:43 PDT
>From: Fletcher Robinson <frobinso at cirm.northrop.com>
>To: info-iris at BRL.ARPA
>Subject:  kernel and tar errors
>
>I have come up against two problems on our new 4D 70G. One machine with
>very little user activity(..waiting for software..), after sitting idle
>for several days will begin to display the following error :
>   error in kernel #42 severity=2 , etc.

Haven't seen this one, sorry.

>Another problem is using tar to backup files. There is a profusion of
>the following error message:
>   1ps0d0s6: error csr=0x4000 bn=?????? statcode=83 recovered, errcode=0x1
>accompanied sparingly by :
>   tp7: (18) correctable data error

We have experienced this problem on our 4D's.
I recently asked an SGI field service person about it.
He claims the problem is known to SGI, and they're working on it.
It's in the hardware, and they supposedly understand what is wrong.
Something about impedence-matching on something in the
tape-drive unit.  He says it's perfectly safe to ignore these messages,
and maybe someday they'll have a fix.  Hey, at least it gives you
something to watch while you're doing backups! :-)

K.Perry
perry%phoenix at princeton.edu
Sys Prog
Computing & Info. Technology