kernel and tar errors

Fletcher Robinson frobinso at cirm.northrop.COM
Thu Jun 16 02:40:43 AEST 1988

I have come up against two problems on our new 4D 70G. One machine with
very little user activity(..waiting for software..), after sitting idle
for several days will begin to display the following error :
   error in kernel #42 severity=2 , etc.
This locks me out of the system with the only way to recover is to
power down. After power is restored, it functions as before for several
days until it displays the same error again.

Another problem is using tar to backup files. There is a profusion of
the following error message:
   1ps0d0s6: error csr=0x4000 bn=?????? statcode=83 recovered, errcode=0x1
accompanied sparingly by :
   tp7: (18) correctable data error

Anyone have any insight into these errors? Are they aviodable?