question on NFS

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at MASIG1.OCEAN.FSU.EDU
Fri Oct 28 06:04:20 AEST 1988

Background: running 3.6 NFS on IRIS 3000 machines

Is it possible to have a file system exported on a read-only basis
    to some nodes and read-write to others?

I want to allow my own IRIS's to cross-mount with read/write access,
and I want another (limited) group of semi-trusted hosts to be able to
mount some of my filesystems read-only.

If it is possible, could someone tell me the proper syntax for the
    /etc/exports entries?

Every time I have tried to put multiple entries in /etc/exports
for a single file system, it has caused the remote system to become
seriously confused. I have had to change the exports file back to its
original state and reboot.

John D. McCalpin
Mesoscale Air-Sea Interaction Group &
	Department of Oceanography &
		Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
The Florida State University

mccalpin at masig1.ocean.fsu.edu	(requires nameserver to access)
mccalpin at nu.cs.fsu.edu		(in DOD host tables)
mccalpin at fsu			(BITNET or MFENET)