Answer to McCalpins f77 inquiry

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Mon Oct 31 08:37:56 AEST 1988

In article <21035 at sgi.SGI.COM>, calvin at dinkum.SGI.COM (Calvin H. Vu) writes:

> << 5. Does the MIPS compiler actually support CORRECT IEEE arithmetic?
> << 	(including rounding, sufficient guard bits, and robust
> << 	intrinsics)
>
> 	Sorry I don't have the answer for this.  As far as I know, we pass
> 	all the official QA tests, including GSA, ANSYS, SDRC, and the NAG
> 	floating point verification suite.   We just implemented floating-point
> 	trap handling in response to the only request regarding floating-
> 	point operations we received from our customers.

All 4D series machines pass the PARANOIA test without errors.
I ran it myself.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computing Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'