4D/20 manuals

Jim Barton jmb at patton.sgi.com
Sat Aug 5 11:15:44 AEST 1989

In article <10504 at boulder.Colorado.EDU>, paulc at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Paul Connally) writes:

> 	I just received a Personal Iris.  Nice machine but...
> I really can't beleive that the only manual they give you is the "PI
> owners manual". What a joke!  I guess the sales rep out here that we
> bought the PI from is lame in not telling me that I would need other manuals.
> We have since changed reps but I still can't get much response in trying
> to receive the rest of the docs I need.
>
> 	Also, it seems there is a good amount of undocumented programs
> in the NeWS libs and bin (no man pages).  Are these programs supported?
> Is 4-sight supported? What happened to the X-windows stuff?
>
> 	I have IRIX version 3.1D, is this the most recent version and
> if not how do I go about getting the most recent one?
>
> 	Finally, what is the maximum length the cables from the monitor
> to the computer can be?
>
> 	Is there some sales rep out there willing to do business with
> us?  It seems that there is a confilict between the 2 out here so we
> can't get straight answers.  Perhaps the one we deal with now is
> mad because we didn't purchase the computer from him originally, but that's
> ridiculous.
> 	Paul Connally            	paulc at boulder.colorado.edu
> 	University of Colorado  	High Voltage Electron Microscope Lab
> 	MCDB  -  Box 347 		"A higher potential for
> 	Boulder, CO  80309		                 better penetration."

Sorry about the sales reps - I'm sure it's not as bad as it sounds, but
there are always people problems in every company.  In any case -

The PI manual is designed for "novice" users to use the machine.  Nobody
is out to get you, or make your life miserable.  The ease-of-use people
made a very determined effort not to frighten people with the machine
straight out of the box by shipping a huge manual set along with it.

If you want all the manuals, buy the "development option", which comes
with all our lovely purple manuals.  If your sales rep doesn't understand
this, you certainly do need a new one (and so do we ...).  Part of the
documentation covers 4Sight and friends.

SGI sells 75' monitor and keyboard cables for the IRIS.  The latest release
of IRIX is 3.1G, which you should be able to get through customer support.

Always remember, if you have any problems at all, call the
Geometry Hotline at 1-800-345-0222.  It is manned and ready to help YOU
out!

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb