4D/20 manuals

Jim Barton jmb at patton.sgi.com
Wed Aug 9 03:00:30 AEST 1989

In article <8908081436.AA03608 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") writes:

>    You ship buggy, outdated OS software?!!!  That is reprehensibly
> irresponsible.  No wonder people have soo many problems with their
> 4D's.  Any responsible company would ship new machines with the lastest
> revision of software.
> --
>
> 	Brent L. Bates
> 	NASA-Langley Research Center
> 	M.S. 294
> 	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
> 	(804) 864-2854
> 	E-mail: blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates at aero2.larc.nasa.gov

We don't ship buggy software to anybody.  And outdated is a matter of taste.
IRIX is more advanced than what most of the rest of the workstation world
is shipping.  The letter suffix indicates that the release is still
fundamentally 3.1 (as in 3.1D or 3.1G), but that some bugs may have
been fixed, and support for new hardware or software packages added.

Most of our customers complain about us changing the releases too fast.

This kind of tirade seems inappropriate in this newgroup.  It says more
about the sender than anything else.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'