4d 20-> 4d80gt porting bug

Dave Ciemiewicz ciemo at bananapc.wpd.sgi.com
Sat Aug 26 13:25:06 AEST 1989

In article <8710 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, piplani at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Michael Piplani) writes:
> I wrote a simple graphics driver for a program of ours on a 4d/20- personal
> iris.  Our program worked fine on all our test cases.  We shipped a binary
> to someone with a 4d/80 gt with alpha blending. When it starts up it
> dies with this message: "Unable to map FIFO no such device"
>
> I thought there was binary compatability across the 4d family.
>
> Any ideas?  It just occured to me that we didn't use the shared
> graphics libraries (just linked with good ole' -Zg), could this be the
> problem?

It is definitely the problem.  You should be linking with the shared GL.
-Zg is maintained for backward compatibility.  Instead, link your program
with "-lgl_s".  Besides providing a binary compatibility, linking to the
shared library will also reduce the size of your executable since it won't
have its own copies of the GL routines.

			Cosmo Ciemo, Silicon Valley Dude

I was traipsing through the fields of my mind when I stepped in something that
smelled rather ripe.