WSH questions

Kipp Hickman kipp at warp.SGI.COM
Tue Jan 31 05:55:56 AEST 1989

In article <4129 at pt.cs.cmu.edu>, gleicher at b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Gleicher) writes:

> I was hoping someone could answer some of these questions:
>
> 1) in the documentation, they explain how to set the titlebar title of a
> 	wsh window with escape sequences. Is it possible to set the icon title?

Only from the command line.  Using the ``-n name'' option.

> 2) is it possible to specify where a wsh icon is to appear when it is
> 	iconified? Is it possible from the command line to have a wsh
> 	window start out iconified?

Currently the 4sight window system interface is very week.  When it is
replaced, it will be possible to do these sort of things.  Translation:
someday you can do this.

> 3) does anyone have a really good wsh termcap that would take advantage of
> 	all of its features? Better yet, a program like X's resize that
> 	would allow the host to inquire the terminal's size and set the
> 	termcap appropriately (for a BSD or Mach host which uses termcap
> 	not terminfo).
> 	(Yea, I know vt100 works OK, but it could be better by using
> 	highlighting and variable sizing.)

The existing wsh termcap (3.1 ish) entry does all the stuff you are talking
about.  Also, the SIGWINCH stuff from BSD land is supported, as well as
the companion ioctl TIOCGWINSZ.  I am not sure which applications support
this SIGWINCH stuff, but curses(3) does.  I believe vi was busted in
one of the releases, but is fixed in 3.1D.

> 4) in xterm, the ALT key acts like an emacs meta key, and ctrl-space is
> 	and emacs set mark. Is it possible to have wsh exhibit these
> 	properties?
> 	There is code in /usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/bindkey.ps that appears to
> 	handle the meta key, but we can't figure it out.

The wsh keyboard semantics are tied to the IBM RT keyboard semantics,
with an international twist.  The LEFT ALT key is the ``compose'' key
found on internation keyboards.  The 3.2 (this number is subject to change)
version of wsh supports copy and send primitives for transferring data
amongst wsh's.  As for the meta key, it was only a preparation in the code
you are referring to, not an actual capability.

A final note.  If you can stand using xterm, then since X is a supported
product again, you can run xterm on your 4D series machine, at the cost
of a few megabytes of memory.  On a personal iris or the GT series machines,
it runs ok.

> I appreciate any and all help. I will summarize if solutions are found.
>
> Thanks,
> 	Mike
>
> Michael Lee Gleicher				gleicher at cs.cmu.edu
> PhD Program, School of Computer Science
> Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890

Hope this helps.
					kipp hickman
					(kipp at sgi.com)
					silicon graphics inc.