Broken window manager

jim frost madd at adt.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 00:26:16 AEST 1989

>With normal user accounts, login at the console doesn't come up
>with the window manager, but after some seconds, returns to login
>prompt.  Root works fine, as usual.

One thing to check is that the localhost loopback is in /etc/hosts.
If it isn't, the window manager doesn't work right -- you just can't
get a shell (not surprising, considering how 4Sight works).  Since
root is working I don't think this is the problem, but it's something
to check.

If this happens to you, the way to log in without graphics so you can
fix it is:

	login: username NOGRAPHICS=

You'll be at a terminal that feels a lot like a DECWriter, totally
stupid.  I don't believe this technique is documented anywhere (a
co-worker of mine originally found it with "strings" I believe) but
it's effective.  There should be a better way.  Which reminds me, how
do you get the Personal Iris to boot single-user?  I never did figure
that out.

And what prompted me to delete localhost?  Well it seems I'm not so
familiar with vi....

jim frost
associative design technology
madd at bu-it.bu.edu