/debug size

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at bigboote.csd.sgi.com
Sat Jul 15 03:10:08 AEST 1989

In article <8907121537.AA02390 at castor.wustl.edu>, lewis at CASTOR.WUSTL.EDU (Lewis Yuchan) writes:
> Is there any way to reduce the size of /debug, as it acts like it takes
> up 50Mb on our system?  Is this a wise thing to do?  Thanks.
>
> --
>
> lewis at castor.wustl.edu                   "The blonde spat at me and threw
> Lewis Yuchan Geer                         herself on my leg and tried to bite

The "/debug" filesystem doesn't take up any space. You can look at it
as a sort of logical construct that acts as a window into the virtual
memory space. It's size is the combination of Real User memory space
and Swap Space. (So I guess reducing swapspace would make /debug
smaller, but that's usually not a good idea. Most people want to
INCREASE swapsace.)

The Files shown are actually the processes that are runnning. Things
like debugers use /debug as a way to get at running processes in a
more elegant and reasonable way.

I think there was a more lucid discussion of how all this works a
while back in this newsgroup.

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap		email: dunlap at sgi.sgi.com

Hardware Product Support