Single user mode.

Tony Facca fsfacca at LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV
Wed Jun 7 03:21:01 AEST 1989

Andrea Malagoli <malagoli%mhd.uchicago.edu at oddjob.uchicago.edu> writes:

> I have a Personal Iris and I have the following problem.
> I have nsf running and I usually hard mount some disks
> wich belong to other servers. I have installed the 3.1C
> upgrade (it was 3.1B before) and something got changed

  [ stuff deleted ]

> Is there a way to reboot the machine in a standalone
> form, without starting the nfs daemons? Is there a
> solution to my problem. For example, on a Sun3 there
> is an option that allows to bring the system up in
> "single user mode". I have not been able to figure
> out how to do it on the Personal Iris.

A couple of things that may (or may not) help.

  - to boot the machine without starting the NFS daemons, try doing
    "/etc/chkconfig nfs no"
    "/etc/reboot"

    when you want NFS to come back, you'll have to do /etc/chkconfig nfs yes

  - to boot the machine in single user mode, you can edit the /etc/inittab
    file and change the line which reads:

    is:2:initdefault

    is:s:initdefault

    which will cause the machine to always come up in single user mode.  Or,
    just do "/etc/init s" to bring the system down to Single User Mode.

Also, please follow up with what has changed in NFS.  We are using it pretty
extensively, and I am interested in any anomolies which show up in NFS.

By the way, since we are talking about NFS, I found out an interesting thing
last week.  We started using a name server to resolve addresses and several
of the machines in /etc/exports are on a different network than the local
machine.  When the NFS part of the startup script runs, it came up with
"cannot export to hostname" errors.  What I needed to do was specify each
hostnames full domain name, not just the alias.  That's because the NFS
part of the script runs before the routers.  Hmmm.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca at lerc08.nas.nasa.gov