Single user mode.

Mike Goss goss at SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM
Wed Jun 7 01:47:02 AEST 1989

> My question now is:
>
> How can I access the /etc/fstab file if the machine refuses
> to reboot? Can I access it from the miniroot?
>
> Andrea Malagoli
>
> University of Chicago.

To get into single user mode on a Personal Iris, the following
arcane procedure is necessary:

During system boot, you will get a message on the
screen that says something like

	"Starting system, type ESC for maintenance mode"

Hit the ESC key.  You will see a menu with several choices.
Type "5" to select the "Command Monitor".  Enter the command:

	setenv initstate s

This tells the system to boot to single user mode on the next boot.
Exit the command monitor with a ^D (control-D) to get back to
the maintenance menu, then select "1" (start sytem).  This should
get you into single user mode.

You can then edit /etc/fstab to fix your nfs problems, after which
you should reboot the system to get back to normal, multi-user mode.

Mike Goss
Merit Technology Inc.