Kermit for 4D and 3100 (was request for Kermit 4D)

Knobi der Rechnerschrat XBR2D96D at DDATHD21.BITNET
Wed Jun 28 15:02:12 AEST 1989

Hallo,

  David Wood (wood%nyu-acf4.arpa at brl.mil) pointed to the Kermit that is
distributed with the IRIS-4D in /usr/people/4Dgifts/kermit. I have a few
comments on this gift:

a) great to have (but it should be easier to find)
b) its a rather old version of unix kermit
c) it does not work with NFS mounted file-system when used as a server and
   the client tries to do a wildcard get (e.g. "get *.c")
d) it gives warnings for the calls to 'signal'.

  The cure for b) is to get the actual version from the next KERMSRV or
LISTSERV (I'm talkin BITNET terms). For those who believe in version numbers
(like me) this will be a great improvement (I'm shure there are many new
bugs (beside some new features like "long packets" and "sliding windows")).

 The cure for c) is a bit more complicated. The proper make command for the
4D is:   make sys5r3 ('make sys3nid' for the 3100 series). To have kermit
working with NFS directories, you must compile the module 'ckufio' BSD like.
Unfortunatelly it is not enough to say 'make bsd'. This gives yous a lot of
error messages from 'ckutio', even if you route the include directory to
'/usr/include/bsd'. You have to compile ONLY 'ckufio' in BSD style. To do this
you must change 'ckufio.c' and the makefile.

  In 'ckufio.c':

a) #undef UXIII
b) #define BSD4
c) change #include <sys/types.h> to #include <bsd/sys/types.h>
d) change #include <sys/dir.h> to #include <bsd/sys/dir.h>

  In the makefile you must add the link switches '-lsun -lbsd' to the LIBS
symbol for the sys5r3 (or sys3nid) entry.

  Then just 'make sys5r3' (or 'make sys3nid' for the 3100) and have a Kermit,
which is happy to serve on NFS directories.

WARNING for 3100 users: comment out all occurences of 'geteuid', 'getegid',
                        'seteuid' and 'setegid'. They are nonexistent on that
                        machines, but they are not neccessary anyway.

Regards
Martin Knoblauch

TH-Darmstadt
Physical Chemistry 1