Finding load average on Iris 4D

Jim Barton jmb at patton.sgi.com
Thu Jun 22 02:47:07 AEST 1989

The typical BSD load average available by reading the avenrun[] variable
out of the kernel will be available with the next software release (3.2).

We keep slogging through the mud, and eventually we'll get everybody's
little hook - it just takes time.

And, although Rayan is correct that all the info hooks into the kernel
are poorly documented, I would argue that they are just as well documented
as they are in BSD or System V kernels - maybe better.  But these things
are poorly documented because they change from release to release as the
kernel changes - thus documenting the interface can force you to
support obsolete ways of doing things.  Things that get kernel performance
data and read kernel data space are, by definition, "non portable" and
not gauranteed to work release-to-release.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb