security (was: Single user mode)

Jim Barton jmb at patton.sgi.com
Thu Jun 8 02:42:04 AEST 1989

In article <99*doelz at urz.unibas.ch>, doelz at urz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) writes:
	[ yet another example of how to get into a 4D ]

> - Reinhard

Just remember, no machine is safe if you can get at the physical machine and
console.  True of VAX'es, SUN's and everything else in the world.  The only
"secure" machine is one in a locked room with no network attached.

If you're really paranoid, the room should have an isolation transfer and
be constructed as a Faraday cage as well.  You'll also need an armed gaurd
to make sure nobody unwanted gets in.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'