EAN networking software

Reinhard Doelz doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Tue Mar 14 22:07:00 AEST 1989

Hi,
because we're not supporting NFS and 4DDN does not do what we want to do, we
need to install a mailing software which is not dependent of the OS. The

EAN software (copyrighted by University of British Columbia 1987)

is installed on all the VAXes without problems. Now we got the EAN distribution
tape for BSD UNIX which is supposed to run without problems on SUN's. Because
they try to be compatible to any UNIX, there should be little or no BSD-
specific stuff (There are some crazy IRIX problems - e.g., no ranlib - but I
found it in the 4Dgifts somewhere). Therefore we were disappointed that it
just doesn't run under IRIX 3.1.

The problem is that we get a lot of error messages which are rather complicated
to be resolved. Did anyone out in netland try to install EAN on a SGI ?

Reinhard

P.S.
The Ean message system was developed by the Distributed Systems Research Group
within the University of British Columbia's Department of Computer Science.
The version we got for UNIX is EAN for BSD UNIX Version 2.1.