backup problems (RE: tar)

Reinhard Doelz doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Fri Mar 24 01:26:00 AEST 1989

Good Point ! The tar is a little bit tedious for backups.

>Iris man pages do not mention anything about the "-r" key which
>should add the new files after the last file and tar is complaining
>with the message "tar:blocked tapes cannot be updated" if I try to use
>"-r". Ok, next try: I used "tar tf /dev/nrtape" to get to the last file

My man pages look like follows:

     TAR(1)                  Silicon Graphics                   TAR(1)

          For the r option to work on multi-partitions tape,  one  has
          to position the tape head to the last partition on the tape.
          This option does not work on cartridge tape.  See  mt(1)  on
          how to append a new archive at the end of recorded data.

I use BEER ( which is a shell in /usr/adm/beer) employing the bru for
backups. BEER is kind of wasting tapes, but at least it guides you on
your daily business and it can use multiple tapes.

Reinhard