IRIS 4-D: inetd crashes if yp is on

Stuart Levy slevy at nic.MR.NET
Sun Mar 19 05:41:17 AEST 1989

I'm hoping some or many of you have dealt with this problem before.

/etc/inetd dumps core on our IRIS 4-D (4D1-3.147) at the first connection
attempt, if we have yellow pages enabled.  (Its YP server is then a Sun
running SunOS 3.5.)  YP appears to work fine otherwise on things like passwd
and hosts lookups.  Inetd runs as expected when we just disable YP.  This is
tolerable but it'd be nice to have it.

Inetd starts up normally, listening on the right ports (telnet, ftp, rsh etc);
the first connection attempt succeeds and then is immediately dropped, as
inetd leaves a core dump.  It appears to be doing something like FD_ISSET
with an fd of -1 -- which causes a crash since it's treated as unsigned
and so tries to index in its array with a huge offset -- but it's too hard
to trace where that number came from.

Any clues would be appreciated!

	Stuart Levy
	slevy at geom.umn.edu (or slevy at nic.mr.net or slevy at uc.msc.umn.edu)

===
By the way, in the exchange on sending ICMP port unreachables in reply
to routing packets: hosts are not supposed to send error replies to
broadcasts, as routing packets (including RIP) generally are.
They should be ignored unless addressed specifically to that host.
This could indicate an SGI software bug or disagreement over
the broadcast address or both.  It might be possible to make the error
messages disappear by setting the IRIS's broadcast address to whatever
address the broadcasts are being sent to, if 3.5 allows that.