IRIS 4-D: inetd crashes if yp is on

Robert Viduya robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 20 04:55:09 AEST 1989

> /etc/inetd dumps core on our IRIS 4-D (4D1-3.147) at the first connection
> attempt, if we have yellow pages enabled.  (Its YP server is then a Sun
> running SunOS 3.5.)  YP appears to work fine otherwise on things like passwd
> and hosts lookups.  Inetd runs as expected when we just disable YP.  This is
> tolerable but it'd be nice to have it.

We had this problem a few weeks back and tracked it down to the fact that sgi's
inetd expects a few specific entries in the /etc/services file.  Since the
/etc/services file is yp'ed and sun's default services file doesn't include
the ones that sgi's inetd expects, inetd just gives up and dumps core.  We
fixed the problem by copying the entries for "bootpc", "chargen" (both of them),
"ntalk" and "bootp" from sgi's /etc/services file to the services file on the
sun yp server.  Inetd hasn't complained since.

			robert

Robert Viduya					   robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services
Georgia Institute of Technology					 (404) 894-6296
Atlanta, Georgia	30332-0275