IRIS 4-D: inetd crashes if yp is on

Joe Ilacqua spike at adt.UUCP
Tue Mar 21 01:03:24 AEST 1989

<> /etc/inetd dumps core on our IRIS 4-D (4D1-3.147) at the first connection
<> attempt, if we have yellow pages enabled.  (Its YP server is then a Sun
<> running SunOS 3.5.)  YP appears to work fine otherwise on things like passwd
<> and hosts lookups.  Inetd runs as expected when we just disable YP.  This is
<> tolerable but it'd be nice to have it.
<
<We had this problem a few weeks back and tracked it down to the fact that sgi's
<inetd expects a few specific entries in the /etc/services file.  Since the
</etc/services file is yp'ed and sun's default services file doesn't include
<the ones that sgi's inetd expects, inetd just gives up and dumps core.

	I can confirm this too.  I simply merged the Sun and 4D
services files (there were no conflicts) and have had no problems
since.  However be warned that if you have programs which use
getpwent(3C) (et al), they must be linked with '-lsun -lbsd'.  If they
where not they will not use yp and will not be able to find users in
the password file.  This is documented, but a bit of a pain.

Joe Ilacqua
Associative Design Technology