nfs failure between Gould NP1 and Personal Iris

Mike Walker mike at cfdl.larc.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 28 02:44:20 AEST 1989

I am having a strange error occur on a NFS mounted partition on our PI.
First a little info about the machines involved:

  1) Personal Iris 4D-20 w/ Irix 3.2
  2) Gould NP1 w/ UTX/32 3.1 (BSD w/ SVR3 extensions)
  3) Sun 3/280 w/ Sun Unix 3.4

I have one file system from machines 2 and 3 above mounted on the PI.
Everything seems to work fine with the Sun based fs, but certain
operations fail on the fs mounted off of the Gould. Symptoms:

  - ls works everywhere
  - cat, grep, etc. (normal file access) works everywhere
  - echo * fails only on the Gould file-system (error: ``no match'')
  - find fails only on the Gould file-system
    (error: ``getwd: read error in ..'')
  - None of these problems show up on the Sun or the Gould using local,
    Sun NFS, or Irix NFS file-systems.

I noticed the problem when I tried running the X11 lndir.sh script on
the Iris to set up links to the X distribution mounted from my Gould.
Does anyone have any clues as to what could be wrong here? As I said,
many things work find (after running lndir on the Gould, I was able to
compile the X library on the Iris without any [NFS related] problems).

Thanks for any help,
Mike
--
Mike Walker   AS&M Inc/NASA LaRC   (804) 864-2305