nfs failure between Gould NP1 and Personal Iris

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at masig3.ocean.fsu.edu
Mon Nov 27 23:59:24 AEST 1989

In article <MIKE.89Nov27094420 at cfdl.larc.nasa.gov>
mike at cfdl.larc.nasa.gov (Mike Walker) writes:
>I am having a strange error occur on a NFS mounted partition on our PI.
>First a little info about the machines involved:
	[ ... details deleted ... ]
>Symptoms:
>  - ls works everywhere
>  - cat, grep, etc. (normal file access) works everywhere
>  - echo * fails only on the Gould file-system (error: ``no match'')
>  - find fails only on the Gould file-system
>    (error: ``getwd: read error in ..'')
>  - None of these problems show up on the Sun or the Gould using local,
>    Sun NFS, or Irix NFS file-systems.
>Thanks for any help,
>Mike
>--
>Mike Walker   AS&M Inc/NASA LaRC   (804) 864-2305

I have had very similar problems trying to get NFS to work between our
PI and our NeXT (which we bought as a cheap file server). NFS works
pretty well between our 3030's and our NeXT, though often when the
NeXT tries to write a file on the IRIS's disk, it ends up with
user-id=-1 and group-id=-1.  I would understand this if a setuid
program were trying to write the file, but it happens when almost any
program writes.... Examples are `cp' and `emacs', both owned by root,
but neither with setuid or setgroupid bits set....
John D. McCalpin - mccalpin at masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin at scri1.scri.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin at delocn.udel.edu