Updating directory views

Betsy Zeller betsy at vesuvius.esd.sgi.com
Thu Nov 23 12:11:35 AEST 1989

>Actually, NFS mounts do make a difference.  The fam daemon runs as root and
>if you've got a NFS directory open in the workspace that has modes of something
>like 0700, and the NFS server has the filesystem exported WITHOUT root access,
>root will NOT be able to see into that directory.  The effect that we've noticed
>here when that situation occurs is that on the initial open of the directory
>from the workspace all the files in that directory appear for a split second
>and then disappear.
>
>I reported this problem to the hot-line (problem number B3520) and was told
>that, yes, it was a problem and that, no, SGI wouldn't fix it.  I've had to
>resort to telling my users that if they want to be able to access their files
>from the workspace, they need to make them publicly available for everyone else
>to access.

I think that there has been a slight problem in communication here. It is
clear that when you open a directory view that you have permission to
access, you should see the files in it without their icons disappearing.
This problem will be addressed in a future release. One problem that is
currently impeding me from addressing it is that I cannot reproduce it. All
combinations that I have tried of exporting/mounting directories over
nfs have worked fine. It would be a great help if you could email me
	i) the contents of /etc/exports referring to the troublesome directories
	ii) the appropriate lines from /etc/fstab
	iii) has anyone had this problem when the NFS mounts were only
	between SGI machines
	The fam daemon will continue to run as root, because more than one
WorkSpace can be run at a time, and the fam daemon must serve them all. There
are, however, other ways around the problem and we will continue to
investigate them.

Betsy Zeller
betsy at sgi.com