Updating directory views

Robert Viduya robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 22 06:52:14 AEST 1989

> There is something very wrong with your workspace, if your directory views
> are not staying *perfectly* up to date with your file system. Can you
> please check a few things for me.
>         1. Make sure that the new file is not appearing out of sight
>         when you create it -- new files appear at the end of the directory
>         view.
>
>         2. do a ps -ef | grep fam, and see if anything comes up
>
>         3. check the permissions on the directory that is giving you
>         problems, and pass that information on to me
>
>         4. Open a directory view on another directory, and see if you
>         have the same kind of problem there.
>
>         5. (Not that this should make any difference ) Is this directory
>         NFS mounted?

Actually, NFS mounts do make a difference.  The fam daemon runs as root and
if you've got a NFS directory open in the workspace that has modes of something
like 0700, and the NFS server has the filesystem exported WITHOUT root access,
root will NOT be able to see into that directory.  The effect that we've noticed
here when that situation occurs is that on the initial open of the directory
from the workspace all the files in that directory appear for a split second
and then disappear.

I reported this problem to the hot-line (problem number B3520) and was told
that, yes, it was a problem and that, no, SGI wouldn't fix it.  I've had to
resort to telling my users that if they want to be able to access their files
from the workspace, they need to make them publicly available for everyone else
to access.

			robert

Robert Viduya					   robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services
Georgia Institute of Technology					 (404) 894-6296
Atlanta, Georgia	30332-0275