Problems with system tools in 3.2

Betsy Zeller betsy at vesuvius.esd.sgi.com
Thu Nov 23 07:21:27 AEST 1989

In article <8911220544.AA00748 at kaos.Stanford.EDU> paul at KAOS.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Ning) writes:

>We have just upgraded our two machines (4D/80GT and 4D/220GTX) to 3.2.
>The 80 seems to be happy but we are having difficulties running
>some of the utilities in the System Menu on the 220.  Here are the
>symptoms :
>
>1) WorkSpace - when selected, the only result is the message
>	       "Can't connect with File Access Monitor (fam)"
>	       in the console window.
>
>2) Transfer Manager - when selected, nothing happens.
>
>3) System Manager & Confidence Tests - a window pops up, and then goes away.
>
>The /etc/services and /usr/etc/inetd.conf files on both machines are
>identical and the executables /usr/etc/fam, /usr/etc/rpc.toolkitbus are
>present as well.
>
>Any ideas what the problem could be?

The first possibility that comes to mind is that your yp server has to have
the following lines in its /usr/etc/inetd.conf

sgi_fam/1   stream      rpc/tcp wait    root    /usr/etc/fam            famd
sgi_toolkitbus/1 stream rpc/tcp wait    root    /usr/etc/rpc.toolkitbus toolkitb
usd

After you change that file, you need to bounce the inetd.

kill -1 process# for inetd

This should help things out a lot. Please post again if things are not better.

Betsy Zeller
betsy at sgi.com