Problems with system tools in 3.2

Paul Ning paul at KAOS.STANFORD.EDU
Wed Nov 22 16:44:59 AEST 1989

We have just upgraded our two machines (4D/80GT and 4D/220GTX) to 3.2.
The 80 seems to be happy but we are having difficulties running
some of the utilities in the System Menu on the 220.  Here are the
symptoms :

1) WorkSpace - when selected, the only result is the message
	       "Can't connect with File Access Monitor (fam)"
	       in the console window.

2) Transfer Manager - when selected, nothing happens.

3) System Manager & Confidence Tests - a window pops up, and then goes away.

The /etc/services and /usr/etc/inetd.conf files on both machines are
identical and the executables /usr/etc/fam, /usr/etc/rpc.toolkitbus are
present as well.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Paul Ning