NTP

Chris Siebenmann cks at white.toronto.edu
Sat Oct 14 07:27:28 AEST 1989

vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:
| NTP does wonders for synchronizing clocks.  However, it requires each host
| to be individually configured.  That can be a pain in large networks.

 It depends on what you mean by "individually configured"; often you
can get away with a common configuration file on many of your hosts.
We run Dennis Ferguson's xntp, and all of our workstations (Vaxen and
DS3100s) have a common config file (which points them at our two
fileservers). I'd expect that you could easily come up with a common
configuration for the machines where you'd just be running timed(1m)
on anyways and fault tolerance and falseticker detection isn't such a
big problem.

[If our servers go south, I don't care what happens to time on the
 clients; I've got bigger problems!]
--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"