Sendmail version on IRIX 3.1G

Tom Russo russo at chaos.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 24 02:00:54 AEST 1989

Hi.  We're using IRIX 3.1G on a 4D/80 server.  We have been having
trouble lately with sendmail.  Here's the story:

Every couple of months sendmail starts going through a little dance
where it tries to access locked queue files and in the process spawns
many many sendmail processes.  This appears to happen only when
incoming mail shows up.  This clutters up the system, then users
get "no more processes" messages when they log in.  Bad stuff, I have
to go around manually killing (well, killing with awk...) lots of
these sendmails, which invariable get reincarnated when the remote
host tries to reconnect.

Left unchecked, the behavior goes away as quietly as it came in about
a day!

Talking to some gurus on campus resulted in a suggestion that we move
to sendmail 5.61.  I've pulled the source over from berkeley, but it
won't make without mods.  Before I invest any time at all in this
task, could I ask y'all if anyone's ported sendmail 5.61 to IRIX (it
looks fairly simple, but then...), and why SGI is running an old
sendmail anyway?  The date on the 5.61 distribution is 9/20/88!

Is it a big deal to get sendmail compiled for IRIX?  Has anybody else
seen this gremlin?  Help?