The memory eater strikes back (2nd attempt to get attention)

pj at fjord.sgi.com pj at fjord.sgi.com
Tue Oct 24 12:15:23 AEST 1989

In article <8910210901.aa24434 at SMOKE.BRL.MIL> XBR2D96D at DDATHD21.BITNET (Knobi der Rechnerschrat) writes:

>  I want to use the malloc(3X)
> Now it seems that there is something
> wrong with it, because 'free' doesn't seem to work when using '-lmalloc'.

Yes, the 3.1 releases of IRIX did have a memory leakage with alot of
small (under 28 bytes ??) allocs/frees.  This was fixed in release 3.2.

We believe that libmalloc will provide substantially better CPU
performance and perhaps less memory fragmentation.

Considerable work was done on libmalloc for 3.2, and we recommend its
use for examples like yours.

I assume that you have profiled your application, so that you already
know that optimizing malloc is important to your performance.  And I
assume that you have noticed the behavioural differences between libc
malloc and libmalloc, primarily that you should not dereference a
pointer after freeing it when using libmalloc.

				Thanks, take care ...
				Paul Jackson (pj at sgi.com), x1373