GIF to SGI...?

George Phillips phillips at grads.cs.ubc.ca
Fri Sep 1 09:38:23 AEST 1989

In article <56867 at aerospace.AERO.ORG> louis at aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) writes:
>Does anyone have a GIF2SGI program so I can display some
>GIF images on the screen? I have gif2ps (postscript), and
>would prefer not re-inventing the wheel...
>
>Louis McDonald

I wrote a program called igif which will display GIF images on a personal
iris *.  It uses 24 bit RGB mode, so I suspect that greatly limits what
SGI machines it will run on.  Someone more familiar with graphics programming
could probably easily change it to use a colour mapped mode (GIF files are
pretty much limited to 256 colours).

Send me mail if you're intested in getting this program and I'll either mail
you a copy (it's about 23K) or post it here (if there is enough interest
and if posting code here is acceptable).

While I'm on the subject, I've also written a program to display the 24 bit
RGB images found on venera.isi.edu.  It's < 5K and I'm willing to share it too.

* In fact, I used someone else's decoder and wrote the interface bits myself.

--
George Phillips phillips at cs.ubc.ca {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!phillips