3D real-time workstations

Jim Barton jmb at patton.sgi.com
Fri Sep 8 01:53:07 AEST 1989

In article <56600001 at iuvax>, wcwang at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:

> A group of professors here at Indiana University are in the process
> of selecting computers for running experiments using visual stimuli.
> Our needs range from modest to demanding --
> the most demanding is real time animation of high resolution, shaded 3D
> 		      ===================	              =========

Actually, this is available on our low-end Personal IRIS machines with
the Super graphics option.  It is not demanding at all for an IRIS - real time
movement of Gourad shaded 3D objects is what the machines were built to do.

> objects,  the least demanding is animation of low-resolution 2D objects.  In

Of course, 2D is a primitive subset of 3D ...

> all cases, we need to collect reaction time responses from subjects.
> This probably requires real-time workstations.  Does anyone have
> recommendatios regards to our requirements?  Our burget is somehow
> limited to be about 4 workstations with a prices tag of less than
> $20,000 per unit.  My main concern right now is to find out what's
> available in the market in our price range and get some details
> about them.

The educational discount on a Super 4D/20 with minimal memory and disk should
fit right into this price range (contact a salesperson for details).

> We're interested in any
> and all information we can get, regarding configurations, compatibilities,
> caveats, endorsements... We're starting from scratch.

Our sales force will be happy to give you all this stuff.

> Please e-mail me the responses if possible.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Bill Wang
> US Mail = Psychology Dept., Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
> UUCP  = {rutgers, att, ames}!iuvax!wcwang
> Internet = wcwang at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb