reverse video on 4D

Dave Ciemiewicz ciemo at bananapc.wpd.sgi.com
Fri Sep 1 03:09:17 AEST 1989

In article <537 at chem.ucsd.EDU>, tps at chem.ucsd.edu (Tom Stockfisch) writes:
> The "edge" debugger on our 4D20 presents windows with black letters on a
> white background -- i.e., reverse video.  Is there any way to get a
> shell window that looks like this?

Yes, you can use the wsh command with the -C option.  Try "man wsh" to
for information on the options.  The -C command lets you pick colors from
the system color map to use for the text color, page color, highlight color
and cursor color.

You might try using showmap to display the default color map and using
cedit to "point" at the colors you like to get their color index number
which is required for specifying the color on the -C command line.

To use cedit to point a colors in the color map, you must first move the
cursor into the cedit window, to activate the input focus (banner highlight
comes on in the window border).  Then hold down any key to maintain input
focus for cedit.  You can move the cursor around with the mouse and point
at any color you are interested in.  cedit won't register RGB colors on the
screen, only color index colors.  You can read the color index off the cedit
window.

> Also, when you run the editor from inside edge you get a window that is
> not only reverse video, but also a larger font than is possible with
> any of the font/size options on a normal shell window.  Is there any way
> to get *that* in a shell window?

When the cursor is over the wsh (shell window), the right mouse button
should give a "font->" selection.  If you pull right over that selection,
you will see, at the bottom of the list of fonts, another selection
"points->" which contains a wide variety of point sizes.  By picking a
font and point size combination, you should be able to acheive a large
font to your taste.

wsh also, has a -f option for specifying a font and point size.

As an added bonus, we'll throw in this ginsu knife, er ... uh ... toolchest.
I have my own default set of windows I like to deal with.  For this, I created
a Shells chest that I use for picking shell windows.

It is an exercise for the reader to modify it to their liking.

----- shellschest -------------------------------------------------------------
#! /usr/sbin/psh

/forkwsh { % args => -
	(wsh -r1000 -m66x132 -fCourier.11 -C0,7,1,2 ) exch append
	forkunix
} def

/Shells [
	(60x80) (40x80) (24x80) (60x132) (40x132)
]
[ {
	currentkey (-s) exch append forkwsh
} ]
(Shells) /new ToolChest send def

Cut out the above file and save it in shellschest.  chmod +x shellschest.
When you execute shellschest, it will put up a toolchest similar to the
"Windows" chest and "Tools" chest.

See the windowchest manual page for how to add this to your user.ps
RestartActions.
			Cosmo Ciemo, Silicon Valley Dude

I was traipsing through the fields of my mind when I stepped in something that
smelled rather ripe.