NFS on PI

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at masig3.ocean.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 14 06:16:57 AEST 1989

I am having terrible trouble with NFS between a PI and several other
machines.  The PI hangs (completely dead) randomly when transferring
large files via NFS.  The problem almost always occurs when I am
reading and writing large files on NFS-mounted disks. This happens
every few days when the input and output files are on the same
(remote) machine, and every few hours when the input and output files
are on different machines.

The worst problems are with the NeXT machine (O/S 0.9), but I also get
failures with SGI 3000's (O/S 3.6). The PI is running a recent version
of the O/S also, 3.14711181642....

Changing things like hard vs soft mount does not help....

Is this just another SGI trick to get us to buy more disk drives for
the PI?
John D. McCalpin - mccalpin at masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin at scri1.scri.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin at delocn.udel.edu