NFS on PI

Jim Barton jmb at patton.sgi.com
Fri Sep 15 01:33:46 AEST 1989

In article <MCCALPIN.89Sep13161657 at masig3.ocean.fsu.edu>, mccalpin at masig3.ocean.fsu.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:
> I am having terrible trouble with NFS between a PI and several other
> machines.  The PI hangs (completely dead) randomly when transferring
> large files via NFS.  The problem almost always occurs when I am
> reading and writing large files on NFS-mounted disks. This happens
> every few days when the input and output files are on the same
> (remote) machine, and every few hours when the input and output files
> are on different machines.
>
> The worst problems are with the NeXT machine (O/S 0.9), but I also get
> failures with SGI 3000's (O/S 3.6). The PI is running a recent version
> of the O/S also, 3.14711181642....
>
> Changing things like hard vs soft mount does not help....
>
> Is this just another SGI trick to get us to buy more disk drives for
> the PI?
> --
> John D. McCalpin - mccalpin at masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
> 		   mccalpin at scri1.scri.fsu.edu
> 		   mccalpin at delocn.udel.edu

Better get the latest OS release.  The 3.147... version is the original
OS release for the PI, and is quite out of date by now.  And we really aren't
trying to trick you into buying more disk drives ...

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb